Saturday, April 23, 2011

OPERATION Get All My Friends to Live in Kansas City

Three years ago, I emigrated from Oklahoma City to Kansas City. Graduation left me at a crossroads, deciding if I should make a drastic change like moving to NYC or Chicago for a few years before returning closer to family, stay in OKC where I had job security and friends, pursue a career in pr for the music industry in Nashville or go somewhere different-yet-appealing like Denver or Kansas City. After tons of praying and job searching, I landed here. And what a perfect decision that was. I quickly (as in, within a week), confirmed that this city is my cup of tea (or coffee). I was having a blast living the single life, exploring all the unique neighborhoods here and decorating my apartment. Then…in the midst of my “single” state of mind, I met a guy with a magnetic personality and kind way about him. And now we’re getting married! Soon, I’ll get to experience this vibrant town as a newlywed.


Who doesn't want all of their friends and family to live near them? Well, some might exclude the second group of my previous statement. For me, friends and family are a blurry line, so I want them all as close as possible. However, when I decided to leave Oklahoma for new territory up north, I thought I was giving up that dream.

So this brings me to the purpose of this post. Through several conversations with my best friends, I've found that hope remains. Below, I will give my list of potential immigrants and a few extra tidbits. I have my work cut out for me, but I think by 2016, Kansas City will be filled with a Who’s Who of Rachel’s favorite people.
Timeline, current location and what needs to happen before they can move.


  • 1 year – Loren & Penelope O’Laughlin
    • Jonesboro, AR
    • structural design job for Loren and ESL or refugee program position for Penelope
  • 1.5 years – Tara McComas (and her bf Kevin Heeney)
    • Tulsa, OK 
    • finish med school, apply & select residency program in Kansas City, find job for Kevin
  • 2 years – Kevin & Whitney [Pettyjohn for now] Sterling
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • wed one another, get their fill of Brooklyn, graphic design job for Kevin and pr job for Whitney (non-profit preferred)
  • 2 years – Ryan Yeakley (brother)
    • Wichita, KS
    • Find a job in IT/computer software
  • 2-3 years - Julia Kaissling
    • Chicago, IL
    • get her fill of Chicago (not rushing this one too much, because I love that she lives there right now), then find a teaching or other equally fitting job here
  • 3 years – Anna Vinzant (cousin)
    • Searcy, AR
    • Graduate with a degree in interior design & find rock star position in KC
  • 3-5 years – Adrian & Katherine [Roland for now] Milton
    • Houston, TX
    • Gain valuable experience at respective law firms in Houston before finding positions in Kansas City pre-babies
      • side note--this one is going to be harder to wait patiently, but the pay-off will be worth it
  • 5+ years – Mark & Kimberlee Yeakley
    • Wichita, KS
    • Realize life will be incomplete unless they live next door to their grandchildren. Oh, and find a way to make money here.
• Undetermined timeline:
  • Stephanie Mester – after she’s gathered some speech therapy experience in Amarillo.
  • Jennifer Pekrul – after I find her a job here
  • Lyndsay Suttles (soon-to-be Davis) and her hubs, Andy

If you’d like to register with the RRP (Rachel Relocation Program) or know of open positions that would be a good fit for any of the above names, please email rachel.yeakley@gmail.com.

7 comments:

Lyndsay said...

1) I'm excited to be included in your list of favorite people. I will admit my heart was sinking as I scrolled through the list, but at the very bottom my heart bounced right back up again.

2) Unfortunately, the job market for teachers in KC is one of the worst. :/

3) However, I LOVE KC and Olathe is right next door. Calling up my cousin and her husband and telling them to get the guest room prepared because they're getting a new roommate in the form of me.

Stephanie said...

You know i would absolutely love, love, LOVE to live in KC near you, my dear! just think of all the coffee shop time we could have and concerts we could attend! the thought of it makes my heart so happy! i'm beginning my job search post-Amarillo now, so I will absolutely keep KC on the list! your job now is to be on the lookout for great SLP jobs for me and perhaps a cute twenty-something boy to make this KC relocation plan even more perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

This is your best blogpost yet. I very much hope one day that you and I get to live in the same town... whether it's Kansas City or some exotic locale in Europe!!!

Love you!
Whitney P

Adrian & Katherine said...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! you kill me. thanks for the shout-out. you know who you have to work on in order to get us there...get to it.

Kelly T said...

This is funny. But you realize that you can't move your parents to KC. Northside needs them. Granted, you waved the old "grandchildren" card in their faces, which has worked many a time. Totally blow the belt, but I guess you're entitled since they're your parents.

Kelly T said...

Aaargh that was supposed to be "below" the belt. :)

Rachel said...

Kelly--you're right. It is a bit sneaky of me. I know I should follow your lead and go to where the grandparents are rather than making them come to me. But a girl can try!

Everyone else--looks like I have my assignments for job hunting. I better get to work!